Sunday, July 31, 2011

black flies and running

Hello There!
I know I have taken several days off in a row, I know , I know! I will be posting each day this week, so keep coming back. I also have some exciting news for tomorrow! So stay tuned for that.



I have 2 topics today the first is my enemy- the black biting fly, and the second is running.

Every ( well most) Sunday I meet my friend Val and we go for a run, its normally always a 5 mile hilly, sandy, trail run, filled with pretty water views, tons of moss covered hanging trees, and tree branches to duck under, hop around, or fallen trees to jump over. Its normally a good time. However- about 6 weeks ago, i decided that I was going to wear bug spray ( for the first time EVER) and about 1-2 miles into the run, we started to get ATTACKED by massive amounts of black flies.
Now keep in mind- we were in the middle of the woods, on a loop. We cant just say Ok, I'm done and hope off the trail. We were stuck and we had to keep going.
So for the next 2.5-3.5 miles i ran, screamed, and cried while continuously and furiously swinging my arms around my head. It was quite the site.  I normally run for 10 minutes ( i carry a stop watch) and then walk for 2 minutes. Well, I couldnt walk at all! The attack would increase like CRAZY if I slowed down at all. I am not used to running that fast, or used to running while swinging my arms all over the place! My back and core hurt so bad from all of the swinging, I kept needing to just stop and lean over to relax my back for a second, but was bit each time I tried. AH!
I was so mad, so mad that words can not explain it. I mean, really, I was being attacked by BUGS. BUGS! Finally- we got out of the trail and onto the road for the .75 mile walk back to the cars. We were supposed to run 8 miles that day. Needless to say, I didnt run 8 miles and I could not get out of the woods fast enough that day.
Since then, I have been back to the trail TWICE, but havent ran that 5 mile loop b/c i was scared.
We also thought MAYBE the bugs were attracted to my organic bug spray. So I blamed Jason for buying it. ( only KINDA, LOL)
Today- no bug spray. First 2 miles were great....swatted the bugs 2 or 3 times. Then all of a sudden, BOOM! Attacked! For 2 more miles! TWO MILES! All the same stuff that I was doing last time, I did today. These flies were in my ears! On top of my head! Bitting the front , back and sides of my arms, and flying into my eyes! Each time i swatted an arm- i hit 1-2 bugs with EACH ARM. I wanted to cry. I saw RED. I was SCREAMING. I actually yelled out for God to please make it stop. TWO MILES.
 Can you imagine being attacked by something biting you for TWO MILES? Well- let me tell you....its AWFUL.
 We made it out of there and I told Val i will NEVER run that trail ever again! At least not unless it is freezing or there is snow on the ground! HA!

Stupid bug! I was searching for pics of "biting black flies" and I wasnt finding what I was looking for, and then Jason said, thats b/c its a HORSE FLY. Ok. LOL! So here is a pic of the stupid horse fly that terrorized me for over 2 miles!

Thats my story for the day and it had to be shared! Even though I was attacked, I am glad the 5 miles got done early! Only 4 more weeks till the Rock N Roll 1/2 marathon! YAY!

A pic of Bryson just to make you smile....

and one of Alivia- also to make you smile!


Come back tomorrow for some exciting news!

1 comment:

  1. I just pictured you running like Phoebe from friends. Did you ever see the episode when she went running with Rachel in Central Park?

    ReplyDelete